Interested in volunteering to help with Waterloo RAGBRAI activities?
We need approximately 800 volunteers of all ages, interests and abilities! Volunteers will be needed before, during and after the RAGBRAI visit (July 28-30).
Volunteering at Waterloo RAGBRAI is a great opportunity for a work outing, team-building opportunity, family activity, or just a way for a few friends to do something fun together!
Volunteers will receive a free Waterloo RAGBRAI volunteer t-shirt and will receive general training and specific training for their assignment. Volunteer assignments will likely be sent in June; however, please continue to check WaterlooRAGBRAI.com for general volunteer updates.
Apply online or e-mail volunteer@WaterlooRAGBRAI.com for more information.
Thank you for making 2010 Waterloo RAGBRAI the best stop in Iowa!
Showers, Sanitation & Recycling Volunteers: Orientation will be held Thursday, July 22 at 5 p.m. at The Supervisor's Club. Meeting is expected to last no more than one hour.
Information Center & Hospitality Volunteers: Orientation sessions will be held Thursday, July 22 in the Bridges Senior Living ballroom at noon and 5 p.m.
Current volunteer positions available:
Hand out maps, answer questions about activities and services, etc.
2-4 hour shifts on Thursday, July 29 from 6 a.m. to midnight and Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.
Assist police with traffic control.
2-4 hour shifts on Thursday from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Security (Thursday from 2:45 p.m. to 6 p.m.; 5:45 p.m. to 9 p.m.; and 8:45 p.m. to 12 a.m.)
Entrance - control crowd, deter crashers, escort out those who don't pass the ID scan.
Exit - insure it is exit only, beer stays inside, etc.
Rovers - watch the fence line along the perimeter to insure no crashers.
Administrative (Thursday 2:45 p.m. to 6 p.m.; 5:45 p.m. to 9 p.m.; 8:45 p.m. to 12 p.m.)
Money collectors - check for shirt/rider band, collect cover charge
Divider - decide which line people should go in (ID or no ID)
Wristbander - put bands on those who were questionable but passed
Ticket sellers - sell tickets, handle cash
Beer (Thursday 2:45 p.m. to 6 p.m.; 5:45 p.m. to 9 p.m.; 8:45 p.m. to 12 p.m.)
Front Line* - take ticket, give beer
Pourer* - pour draft 16 oz beer into plastic cups
*Training Required - both beer positions will need to attend a brief trainig session the week prior
FacilitiesSet Up (Wed, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.; Wed, 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Thursday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.) - Manual labor, set up fencing, hang signage, set up tables, etc.
Clean Up (Thurs, July 29, 11 p.m. - Fri, July 30, 2 a.m.) - Help pick up litter and secure the area for overnight.
Tear Down (Friday, July 30, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Manual labor, remove fencing, signage, equipment, etc.
Wednesday night volunteers
- Will be putting trash box lids together and possibly begin setting boxes out. We are planning on 5-10 volunteers to put box lids together on Wednesday late afternoon/early evening.
Thursday morning volunteers
- Will be setting out the trash boxes and the barrels around the vendor area, campgrounds, by the port-o-pottie locations, shower locations and shuttle stops, etc. Some of you may be asked to assist at Golf Course or HCC.
- Volunteers will be needed to man the showers
- Willalso need volunteers for "toilet paper patrol."
Thursday noon until Friday volunteers
- Will be to pull 2/3rds filled trash bags out of the barrels/boxes and place new sacks in them.
- A group will be picking up the cans and recycable bottles. Primary focus will be the food and non-food vendor area (Parking lot) the port-o-pottie sites to empty paper towel collection boxes, shower sites, and shuttle stops.
Friday morning volunteers
- Assist in emptying containers at both campgrounds, vendor area, beverage garden, shower sites, and shuttle stops at the Waterpark. We will also be assisting Hawkeye Community College (quiet campground) and cleaning golf course as needed.